Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Inking Heroes

Thor, ink on paper
Years of reading and rereading old comic books was primarily driven by my love for comics illustration. Names such as Jack Kirby , John Buscema, Frank Frazetta, Walt Simonson, Joe Rubenstein, Michael Golden and more were always in my psyche. I would dream of the day, that I would be one of the guys behind the heroes.

Kids grow up though and find out that you can't exactly fall from a skyscraper maneuver your body, land on your feet nary a broken bone. Or stop a charging truck with your bare knuckles. Or that you will be engulfed in a plasma with raging strength every time you grit your teeth. It just doesn't happen that way.

 



Wolverine, ink on paper

I also learned that a landing a career in comics illustration was in some way, akin to the aforementioned feats. It wasn't just about drawing  figures, or stills - but was mainly about creating a flow through panels, breathing life to a script. 


Iron Fist, ink on paper
Fortunately, I outgrew the fantasies of having to sleep on drawing boards, attending comicons and make my living off from strips, because I know that I don't have the skills needed for the job.



I am happiest given a little time, pen and paper ; channeling the days of unfaltering heroism and

invulnerability, drawing power from the mjolnir, adamantium, or the ch'i.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger